Wednesday, March 19, 2008

8. Organize for Daily Writing

This chapter was so full of information that I will be returning to it over the summer to help plan for next year.

Loved

  • student choice in writing topics
  • conversing with students about their daily writing
  • keeping a log of mini-lessons and conferences
  • students keeping log of mini-lessons
  • not focusing on the outline process
  • allowing students to experience authentic writing
  • choices are based on what you have learned about in class
  • writing to authentic audience
Not so sure about:
  • the sample daily schedules seemed very unrealistic (I understand the concept of integration, but to schedule your whole day writing first... I can't get my mind around it)
  • over-usage of practicing with a student in front of the whole class (can you say "laughter"?)
Ideas
  • daily writing time at the end of the day
  • team planning choice writing topics - offer choice from each content area - rotate weekly
  • writing 3-ring for each student - organize genre writing, mini-lessons, daily writing
In the second portion of this chapter, my favorite part was writing short pieces instead of long drawn out ones. Publishing monthly gives the students various pieces to put in their portfolio. I felt good that I could finally see things I am already doing in my classroom (though I don't move into the labeling stage). We create brochures, presentations, podcasts, and journals in social studies and science. Now I need to step up these writing projects to reflect more writing 'learning.'
(notice my list making - thought I would just bypass the final written product stage - you get the idea)

1 comment:

astambaugh said...

I agree with several things you stated. Their schedules seemed to be set for the perfect school without any time restraints or assessing. I loved the 3 ring binder idea and everything to keep in it.