Monday, April 7, 2008

Make Assessments Count

Confusion

After reading this chapter, I'm not sure if I am supposed to be using rubrics or not. I am also not sure when I am supposed to assess and not assess. Earlier in the book, I was sure she said do not assess everything your students write, and I know she repeated it in this chapter, yet she also talks about informal assessments as on-going. Are we supposed to let the kids write without pressure, or are we looking over our student's shoulders?

What I am taking away from this chapter is that I do not need to grade everything on a rubric. Sometimes it is okay to grade on a student's improvement and growth that is seen through on-going observation. I also liked the idea of not always teaching the format of the test. Taking two weeks before the test to learn the format 'should' be enough for students to be prepared if they are used to writing longer pieces on a regular basis. I'm not sure about only writing to a prompt once every nine weeks. I have really liked what the sixth grade has been doing with writing prompts in their journal writing. I think it gives kids a start who normally can't get started.

2 comments:

Travelin' Tim said...

Thank you from the sixth grade. It does help to give prompts but at the same time you want to give them opportunities to write what they want to write about also. I haven't graded everything they have written this year but I have graded some. I have seen improvements as I check over their journal from time to time.

Brenda Dunning said...

I'm with you on the prompts topic. I believe there is still enough choice within most prompts for my students and it ensures they are writing on a variety of topics.